Tuesday, March 19, 2013


 Food-Flash!

Oye's

March 18th, 2013
Reading, MA

The plan for the night was to see Oz: The Great and Powerful at the Reading Jordan's Furniture IMax theater but dinner was definitely needed before hand. We had seen this place and Tara had heard good things about it from co-workers so we decided to give it a go....





Oye's


Oye's was a quaint little Asian restaurant in a large shopping plaza.  Inside it quite nice and large.  The menu is separated by culture, Japanese, Chinese, Polynesian.  The menu is large enough to come back several times without repeats.  We had a great time and will be back, if for nothing else because we haven't tried the sushi yet.

Appetizers


Spicy Edamame - Edamame tossed in sweet peppers, hot peppers, onions, red pepper flakes, scalions and fresh ginger.

Edamame is generally a very quiet dish, often times it is a good healthy appetizer that holds you over well for the main course, the major thing you look to get out of it is the salt.   This dish was anything but quiet - a ton of sweet, tangy flavor and a good strong kick of spice.    There was alot of flavor in this dish and I guessed at the ingredients and I bet there's atleast 2 we are missing.  If you ever go here, you have to try it.







Pan-Fried Gyoza - No picture but your typical pork and cabbage dumpling in  rice paper, lightly pan fried on the bottom only.  Nothing overly special about this dish, the insides were relatively mild in flavor so you really had to soak in the ginger sauce for a good strong flavor.   It on par with most decent gyoza.



Entrées

Nick -General Gau's Chicken

I've been doing this thing as of late where I try to order ordinary dishes at new restaurants because I want to see how they compare to other dishes I've had.  Even though there was numerous other dishes, I got probably the most popular Chinese food dish in America.

But for this reason I can say their Chinese Cuisine is very high quality.  The chicken was  big chunks of dark meat, not processed.  The coating was thin and crispy, easily 95% chicken 5% coating in every bite.   The sauce was sweeter than some of my favorite versions of this dish and the consistency showed how much sugar must have been in it.  I tend to like versions of this dish that are spicier and have more soy sauce in them.  But the sauce was a good sauce, my misgivings are only my personal preference - the quality of preparation and ingredients  are undeniable.


Tara -Hunan Spicy Chicken

I asked for a recommendation between this and the Szechuan Chicken because I was highly undecided on which spice I really wanted.  This once was the recommendation and he especially had me at "mushrooms".

Like Nick's dish it was wonderfully prepared with only quality ingredients which is always nice to see in Chinese cuisine because so many places cut corners. The spicing was fantastic and, as picky as I am about my broccoli, I even thought the veggies were cooked perfectly and were the correct flavor balance (and heat balance) for this dish since it didn't come with rice (I wouldn't have had rice anyway.) I'd definitely get this again and would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes things on the extra spicy (but not melt your face) side.

No comments:

Post a Comment